Design, Craftsmanship and Location
3065 Buena Vista Way is a unique mid-century masterpiece, expertly designed by architect-owner David K. Burton for his family at the zenith of the period. Its combination of features is faithful to the style, yet never to be duplicated.
Meticulously maintained by his son, the home was constructed in the post-and-beam method, using old-growth quarter-sawn redwood in exterior and interior walls. Five sets of floor-to-ceiling French doors among walls of windows flank an open floor plan, bringing the outdoors in. An elevator makes the home effectively “level in” for those who want or need it.
Perched on a hill overlooking North Berkeley, with San Francisco Bay and the Golden Gate Bridge beyond, the shops, services and world-class food of North Shattuck and the Gourmet Ghetto are just minutes away.
Passionate about his craft, Mr. Burton circulated among local mid-century adherents of the day. His 1959 design was influenced by the elegant austerity of the Japanese approach, the American architect Frank Lloyd Wright, the Scottish architect Charles Rennie Macintosh, and by Bernard Maybeck's use of natural materials. In this case, it is also characterized by complex engineering and the invisible use of structural steel. The quality of the design, construction materials and execution are of the highest standard.
Original plans, building contract, building inspection record, and Certificate of Occupancy are on file.
Unique features of 3065 Buena Vista Way:
More on the Family, Life & Legacy of David K. Burton
David Kerr Burton moved to Berkeley in 1948 from his childhood home in Redlands, California in order to study Architecture at UC Berkeley, obtaining his degree in 1950. He worked as an industrial designer for Ford Motor Company at its production facility in Richmond, California for several years prior to joining the firm of architect Mario Corbett in San Francisco. Subsequently he practiced with The Ratcliff Architects for approximately five years, eventually joining the partnership of Wilson, Burton & Wilson in El Sobrante, California. In 1969 he opened his solo architectural firm in Berkeley, practicing until his retirement in 2009. During his years in Berkeley, David became friends with Bernard Maybeck and the younger members of the Maybeck clan.
In 1950 David met his future wife, Hilde Scheuer, who was studying Psychology at UC Berkeley. In 1952 they married and made Berkeley their home. Three years later, Hilde obtained her PhD degree and gave birth to a son, Stephen. Hilde went on to achieve wide renown as a therapist, becoming the Chief of Psychological Services at Children's Hospital in Oakland, the Clinical Training Supervisor at UC Berkeley's Graduate School of Clinical Psychology, an active member of the Mental Health Advisory Councils of Alameda County and the State of California, and a founding member of the Berkeley Psychotherapy Institute and the Psychoanalytic Institute of Northern California. Hilde also became the therapist of choice for Berkeley's community of Nobel Laureates and their families.
Over the years, both Hilde and David nurtured many friendships within the Beat Generation of modern poets and with members of the San Francisco Renaissance School of modern painters. The Burton house was often a gathering place for these creative people; an open, supportive and judgment-free environment in which to share ideas, food and revelry.
In 1956, Hilde and David purchased the property upon which the house is built with another couple, The Van Gelders. Subsequently the property was subdivided and construction began on the Burton residence in 1959. Work was completed, and a Certificate of Occupancy issued, on May 4, 1960. In 1961 the companion parcel of property (now 3071 Buena Vista Way) was sold by the Van Gelders to The Sessler family, who constructed a house designed by The Ratcliff Architects. Andrew Sessler was the Director of the Laurence Berkeley Laboratory and a recipient of The Fermi Prize.
Other David Burton Works
3066 Buena Vista Way
5 Arcade Avenue
724 Wildcat Canyon Road
3301 Dardanelles Avenue
Tahoe City CA
47 Issaguah Dock
Treat Medical/Dental Office Building
2991 Treat Blvd.
Psychoterapy Office Building
2417 Carlton Street
4 Unit Residential Apartment Building Conversion
1720 Spruce Street
Welcome to the Berkeley Hills
Sought after for its high quality of life, spectacular views, steep winding streets, spacious parks and forested hilltop homes, the Berkeley Hills provide the very best of East Bay living.
Although there are virtually no commercial areas in the Berkeley Hills, the neighborhood business districts of North Shattuck, Northside, and the world-renowned Gourmet Ghetto are just minutes away (see below). Residents of the hills have the luxury of being in the midst of a haven of parks and recreational activities. Locals can often be found rock climbing at Indian Rock Park, strolling along Bernard Maybeck's fragrant Rose Walk, playing with their children on the three-story-high concrete slide in Cordonices Park, and picnicking or taking in a sunset performance at the Berkeley Rose Garden, which some consider the finest rose garden in Northern California.
Other area favorites include the UC Berkeley Botanical Gardens and the kid-pleasing Lawrence Hall of Science, an exciting science center where children can enjoy hands-on educational fun. Tilden Park, where nature-lovers can hike miles of trails, frolic in Lake Anza, enjoy a restored antique merry-go-round, and ride genuine 5/12 scale 15" gauge steam locomotives at the Redwood Valley Railway, is considered by many as the crown jewel of our East Bay parks.
Welcome to Gourmet Ghetto/North Shattuck/Northside
Conveniently located north of UC Berkeley, near two BART stations and a short hop from downtown, "Northside" is popular with professors and students who attend the science and engineering schools and the seminaries of "Holy Hill."
It's also populated with those who dine regularly at the innovative eateries of the "Gourmet Ghetto." In the wake of the 1950s -- with its TV dinners and Jello molds -- an idea was born: What if we celebrated food by using the best local ingredients we can find? From this sprung a food revolution -- in 1971 Chez Panisse opened and the original Gourmet Ghetto of Berkeley was born.
The area runs down Shattuck Avenue, bordered by Rose Street to the north and Hearst to the south. Trees line the streets of North Campus/Gourmet Ghetto real estate, encouraging you to linger and take in all there is to see of one of the Bay Area's finest neighborhoods.
An amusement park for your palate, the Gourmet Ghetto offers the best of the best. If you have ever been even remotely curious about cheese visit the Cheese Board Collective (and don't forget to pick up a Cheese Board pizza while you're at it). If you're hungry for philosophy grab a cappuccino and some conversation at the French Hotel Cafe, and absolutely find a reason to treat yourself to some of the marvelous takeout bistro offerings at Gregoire.
But, lest you assume this area is entirely consumed with filling its belly, the vibrant Shattuck Avenue is filled with a fabulous Art & Crafts Cooperative, wine tastings, art exhibits, a sidewalk music series and festivals every summer and fall. It is also home to the original Peet's Coffee and the Berkeley Art Center.
The annual "Spice of Life" street festival in October celebrates the culinary heritage of North Berkeley; with live entertainment on three stages, cooking demonstrations by local chefs, and more than 100 art exhibitors.
This is a place defined by the notion that eating is not merely about survival. It is a fete of life.